Ask an Explainer
Explainers work with Museum curators and educators to answer your most pressing questions about flight. How does an airplane bigger than a barn get off the ground? How do satellites stay in orbit? Do you have your own question? Ask an Explainer! They'll be happy to help you explore the world of flight. Or, search questions and answers submitted by other visitors below.
Ask an Explainer Question Guidelines
- We will make every attempt to answer your question, but due to the volume of questions submitted we cannot guarantee your question will be answered.
- Before posting a question, please use the search tool to make sure your question has not already been asked.
- One question per submission please.
- No mathematical questions please. Ask an Explainer is designed to add to the content of the How Things Fly website, not to answer math problems.
- The Museum reserves the right to delete inappropriate, irrelevant, or duplicate questions without notice.
Think you'd make a good Explainer? Find out how to apply here.